Monday, April 09, 2007

Someday

Its been almost 2 weeks since he has heard from her, he doesn’t even know where she is or what she is up to. She suddenly disappeared from his life. Her phone doesn’t respond. He doesn’t even know whether she is alive or dead.

This was the last mail he wrote to her

If you want to leave , you are free to do as you wish...have never tried neither will I ever try to stop you cos that’s not me...I jus cannot ask you do something for me....cos we are two different individuals and we are free to take our decisions as we wish..... One thing about me which you might already know when I take a decision I consider jus myself and only myself....I do not think that a particular person would be hurt if I do this. if my action seems to be justified to me I go ahead with it if some body else gets affected by it then its not my problem. If I have to stay/leave I would jus consider about me how this decision will affect me whether I will be happy/sad staying/leaving, what are the consequences of this decision to me. But I guess we both differ here you take your decisions not keeping what consequences it would cause to you but what effect it will have on others, you tend to value others over your self but I am diametrically opposite to it. I tend to value self over anything else. So if you think your leaving or staying will have any effect on me then it’s my problem not yours. If I get hurt cos you leave/stay then its my fault not yours. You need to understand that I am not saying mine is the rite way of living or yours is, I am no judge of that , you are free to live the life the way you want to and I am free to live the way i want to. I have always told ya I am not cut out for relationships...I guess you would understand why now.

To the above her reply was

All I understand right now is that you are clear on this not having a future

Am not hurt one bit …. Yes, I sincerely hope that no one is ever hurt by my actions … Glad to know I have never hurt you

As for you being cut out for relationships – well, am no one to comment on that, maybe am just not your ‘type’ … whatever it does not matter any more

I have been hurt before and I refuse to tread the same path. I can take care of myself and hence I have the insight to see that nothing good is going to come out of this …..

Adios!


And after that there was no correspondence at all. He had read these two mails so many times that he can recite them verbatim. He decides to leave early from work cos he sees no point in sticking at office and staring at these mails and he is sure that no work would be done either, probably he would go for a long drive on his bike. The thought itself is refreshing. He quickly leaves his cubicle before his superior can stop him and takes the stairs instead of the elevator for the fear of some raised eyebrows. He takes out his bike, puts on his earphones and helmet and quietly gets out of the campus.

In my search for freedom

and peace of mind

I've left the memories behind

Wanna start a new life

but it seems to be rather absurd

when I know the truth

is that I always think of you

He smirks at the timing of the lyrics. He has heard this song umpteen number of times before, considering that he started listening to western music with MLTR but never before the lyrics have been so eloquent.

Someday someway

together we will be baby

I will take and you will take your time

We'll wait for our fate

cos' nobody owns us baby

We can shake we can shake the rock

Hope, that’s what keeps us alive, has said many of his friends. And he has always asked in return, hope of what? He has got replies like hope of a better tomorrow, hope of knowing your life’s calling, hope of finding that one person who will matter to you the most. Nothing has ever convinced his cynical self.

Try to throw the picture out of my mind

try to leave the memories behind

Here by the ocean

wave's carry voices from you

Do you know the truth

I am thinking of you too

That’s what he has been trying to do, to throw her out of his mind for over a year and half now. He just can’t get himself to do that. The only thing he has managed to achieve is indifference to his own life but not to her. He has become almost emotionless but whatever little emotions he felt were still invoked by her. She still was a part of every dream, every fantasy of his.

The love we had together

just fades away in time

And now you've got your own world

and I guess I've got mine

But the passion that you planted

in the middle of my heart

is a passion that will never stop

Then what is it that’s been stopping him? He has asked this question himself a lot of times but he never was able to pin point the problem. Probably when she gets back he would tell her that he still longs for her.

He never speeds on highways, but today he was going full throttle. He can see from the corner of the eye the speedometer touching 100 Kmph. He takes a sharp turn to avoid hitting a pedestrian, the bikes skids and he loses control. He tries to jump off the bike in the hope that he can escape with a few scratches. He falls on the road and is rolling, the truck behind couldnt stop in time.

Someday someway

together we will be baby… May be not.

15 comments:

Sindhuja Parthasarathy said...

ahhhh......ouch!! I dont know what clues i was looking for,while reading this. But u manipulated well!

catch 22 said...

@ Samudraa - Why you giving such orgasmic sounds ;) . What clues were you looking for and what was manipulated well ?

Dammy said...

that looked like suicide .. ;) life sucks if she can't be urs and u cant throw her out of ur heart

What if instead of a truck it was a car .. with the gal in driver's seat .. trying to tell how much she missed him all this while .. :'(

Sindhuja Parthasarathy said...

yeah right,mister perverted!

I was looking for cues to see if you have ported expereinces from ur life.

But u have manipulated enuf for me to go unclear on that.

U udnerstand what iam referring to dont u my boy!?

catch 22 said...

@ Dammy - Life sucks even more when you know that she could be yours but not to be. :)

@ Samudraa - Me a pervert ? Look whos talking!!! And abt me porting experiences from real life in this one...well I would prefer you remain unclear on that :)

Sindhuja Parthasarathy said...

that exactly wot i meant.as if u knew my being a voyeur and tried manipulating stuff here and there so that i keep guessing.

look whos talking,is not applicable in this case.ive given up on being "me".

Anonymous said...

and then they chatted away , time zones not making a difference , she into the morn and he into the night ...

Anonymous said...

.....and he wishing more often than not
"Why the hell doesn't she hang up? Doesnt she understand she is boring me? Isn't she bothered to know what I for a change am thinking? Am I to be relegated as a listening post throughout my life? And doesnt she realize that it is time for me to sleep? "

Karthik said...

jLooks personal, but i may as well butt in !!

Hmm - i donno what to say. I would tend to agree more with the guy in this case. The guy is almost there in terms of mental maturity(not trying to be judgmental - but cant find a better word - stability maybe). U shudnt have killed the guy though - sends a bad message to potential "mature" lovers who use reason even in the so-called matters of heart !!

catch 22 said...

@ Anon1 - :)

@ Anon2 - Who is it ?

@ Karthik - Personal ? Nah...its jus a feeble attempt at a story :).

~SuCh~ said...

Song inspired story ??? Guess thats the in-thing today... must try that 'someday'... :-)

Or maybe I can try an after-birth sequel to this one.. :-)

Btw, does missing someone amount to loving them ???? Isnt it just plain old nostalgia? Time can play tricks by covering up the thorns...

catch 22 said...

Song inspired story ? Yeah you can say that. I have lot of stories which are inspired by songs. When ever I listen to a song I think of a situation where it would be most appropriate and a story could be woven around that situation.

Yep you can try an after birth sequel to this one...and make it a point to make it hilarious. Haven seen you writing much humour why don ya try a hand at that.

Nope missing someone doesnt amount to loving them, yeah it would be plain nostalgia. Time can play tricks covering up the roses too :)

~SuCh~ said...

abWell... dont agree that time can cover the roses... except when the parting has been brutal. In this song-story, the parting seems amicable... there are certain things that led you to part, and those thorns did rise above the roses at some point of time and space. Time just embalms the roses.

"Life sucks even more when you know that she could be yours but not to be"

True, add to it the agony of knowing why it is not to be.

catch 22 said...

"Time just embalms the roses"

Such a beautiful line.

""Life sucks even more when you know that she could be yours but not to be"

True, add to it the agony of knowing why it is not to be. "

Add to it that you can do nothing about it and it will hit your agony meter at the peak.

Monika said...

nicely written story... and i love that song....

may be u should right a sequel to it ;-)