Thursday, May 04, 2006

Can marriage do this?

Ok, this post is about one of my friends in SAP (I work at SAP Labs India Bangalore). He is about to tie the knot this July. Have known him for 4 months out of which, 2 months he has been single and the other 2 months committed. I just want to depict the change in his attitude, pre commitment and post commitment phases. For the sake of protecting his identity lets keep his identity as ‘Mr. V’.

Mr. V – Pre Commitment phase.

Mr. V is best known among his friends as tanker. Let me elucidate the reason for this reputation. When he goes to the pub our man has the capacity to have 8 Vodka shots, 6 Whisky shots and 10 tequila shots all in a single outing, this earned him the well deserved name "Tanker". To complement his drinking prowess Mr. V used to smoke heavily too. He used to be our smoking supplier during training times. Now lets talk about his waking up habits. The bus comes to his place at 8:30 PM, our man happily wakes up at 8:20 PM and makes a run every single day (Am much better I wake up 15 minutes before the bus is dueJ). Our guy also had a crush during the training period which made him to quit smoking for the whole of 4.5 days (Ok if its whole then it has to be either 4 or 5 it cant be 4.5, so lets be generous and keep it on the higher side as 5). After 5 days our man was back to his smoking best. This was the status quo 2 months 12 days 5 Hrs 57 minutes back. Are you surprised as to how I know the exact timing; well it will be clear soon.

End of Pre Commitment phase.

Mr. V – Post Commitment phase.

Once our training got over he was shifted to a different office where as I was in the main campus, so dint have much of an interaction for 3 weeks or so. But a couple of days back I met him in the bus and we got talking. He said that he has quit smoking after he got committed to Ms R. When I asked him about drinking he said that he has got the permission from Ms R to drink once every two weeks (very generous of Ms R , isn’t it?). I asked him whether he needed to ask permission from her, then he replied that he was very happy asking permissions. For sometime I thought that he was joking but I soon realized that he was not. Then our man with the most saintly voice he could conjure up told me that when was I going to become a better person (What he meant was, when was I going to quit smoking and become a responsible person, what the hell, I am a responsible person, smoking doesn’t make me irresponsible.). Then our hero started rambling that it had been 2 months 10 days since he last met her (Now you know how I got the figure in the last paragraph). Now to Mr. Vs waking habits. He gets up at 5:30 and gets ready by 6:10 and gives her a wakeup call, all this because she wants to hear his voice before starting her day (How romantic , isn’t it?). He said that he makes 5 calls to her per day. When I remarked on the phone bills our hero said that he had stopped calling up all his friends hence the bill has not gone up remarkably.

End of Post Commitment phase.

Well honestly speaking I was speechless, I was rather shocked by the change in him. Am not really opposed to his quitting of smoke or drinks but the trigger is what bothers me. Why it bothers me? Well that’s a topic for another post?

7 comments:

Stallion said...

Looks like the guy u have mentioned is not " Mr.V", it more looks like " Mr.AVI ".

catch 22 said...

Ha ha Lol, If it wud have been Mr . Avi u would have known it buddy.

catch 22 said...

@ Srinath - What ever I have mentioned here is factual not one bit exaggerated. So your comments are welcome. :). And yeah Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Karthik said...

Reminds me of a buddy who used to say - "We guys will quit smoking only if we get a steady GF !!"

One more famous quote attributed to my buddy is - "Sharukh Khan, Rajini have not got cancer after smoking for years. The moment they get cancer, i(read WE) will quit !!"..

BTw, i quit(!!) smoking on my own accord.. Well not out of choice but out of lack of proper company !!

catch 22 said...

@ Karthik - Ah Joy of smoking alone is something u need to experience.

Karthik said...

I am beyond that stage da .. way beyond that stage !!

Saira said...

Good one..rather a hilarious one but i think girls do expect that much from their guys..:)